$5 + 4 hours = Drop leaf table redo {January’s “composting” project}

Back in January, Micah and I tackled our first “composting” project. I actually started this post back then, but had to finish another project — getting my computer up and running after a crashed hard drive — which I finally just figured out this week.

We found this drop leaf table curbside a while ago and it had been sitting in our garage.

DSC02204

When we first saw it, we thought maybe we’d sell it on Craigslist (one of our more profitable hobbies — find other people’s trash and sell it to people who actually want it), but then on closer examination realized some of the joints were broken and the top didn’t look great.

DSC02205

We decided to keep it anyway for our “house.” We don’t actually have a house, we live in a 2 bedroom condo. But what better time to start hoarding things we might use down the road than in the present, right?

Then I had this vision of actually using the table now in our craft room/office. I have been using an antique sewing table for sewing, but it is not the best use of our limited space. Plus with grad school work, Micah needs a little more room to spread out books. So the sewing table went out to the garage and the drop leaf table came in.

This isn’t a how-to post because I didn’t actually know what I was doing. But here’s a few photos of our process and the finished product. The moral of this post is – fixing and painting a piece of furniture really isn’t that hard, so you should try it, too!

Step One: Gluing and clamping. This probably took 30 minutes – but then we let it dry for 24 hours.

DSC02206

Step Two: Sanding. This took 30 minutes. I decided to paint rather than stain it because I wanted to avoid having to actually do a good job sanding.

DSC02207

Step Three: Painting. 2 -3 hours total (I did 2 coats on the top, with sanding in between, and one on the bottom, with touch ups afterwards).

When I started painting, I was thinking I would just use leftover paint that we had, so I started with the black top. Then I realized we didn’t have enough, plus I had a vision of a teal table. So, off to the Habitat ReStore to look for paint. I thought I was buying teal — turns out it wasn’t mixed into the base well enough so it was more of a blue-gray. A nice color, nonetheless.

DSC02495

So here we have it – January’s project, check! It just took me till March to post about it.

Total hands-on time: less than 4 hours

Total cost: $5 for a gallon of paint at the ReStore + other supplies we had around the house

DSC02494

All set and ready for crafts or studying!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s